Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Keeping the Tradition Alive

On Orientation day at Evan's kindergarten, I accidentally signed up to be the "homeroom mom". (Note: read the paper before you sign it! I circled the word "snacks" to indicate that I would bring snacks to a party. I did not read the other parts that said, "I will plan each party" and "I will be there to host each party in the classroom.") This means that I collect donations and plan 3 parties a year. Not hard work, exactly, but to me the pressure is on! Coming up with an activity is the worst part (pipecleaner Christmas wreaths...), but doing snacks is my forte and I knew of only one thing that could be deemed "perfect": Lollipop Cookies. The party is tomorrow and I want to share the incredible cookie recipe that I made with you...

But wait! Don't you want to know where I got this incredible recipe from? I'll tell you. My mom has been making Lollipop Cookies for the Christmas programs of our Amish friends school-age children for over 20 years. That is 2 generations! Doing that has even earned her the nickname "the Cookie Lady". I used to help her make them when I was little, but this was my first time flying solo and I'm proud to say it was a successful mission.

Lollipop Cookies

You will need to make about 10 cookies:
1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough
Colored sugar
Popsicle sticks
Clear plastic wrap
"Curly" ribbon (wrapping ribbon that will curl when you run a scissors along it.)

Freeze the roll of cookie dough for easier slicing. (In fact, don't even try to make them if the dough isn't frozen.)
Slice cookies into slightly over 1/4 inch slices. Take a popsicle stick and with the precision of a brain surgeon, insert the stick into the middle of the cookie dough, and place onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes, give or take, or until golden brown on edges. After you remove them from the oven, let sit for 5 minutes to tighten them up before moving to a cooling rack.
Once the cookies are completely cool (I mean it), take your clear plastic wrap and, one cookie at a time, rip plastic wrap into a square and wrap over top of cookie. Cut a length of ribbon about 8- 10 inches long. Tie around base of cookie/ top of popsicle stick and curl the ribbon with scissors. Repeat with remaining cookies.
I "repeated" with over 40 of them, which was 4 tubes of cookie dough, so you may, on second thought, get more than 10 in a roll of dough.


                                    If the popsicle stick breaks through the top a bit, just push it back down in. If you need to you can take a small glob off the "heel" of the dough and cover it.



After having been sugared.
I've found this configuration works best. Sugar cookies get big and you don't want them to run into each other so much.


I put mine into a basket lined with a Christmas-y kind of fabric.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment