Monday, January 3, 2011

"Cool" Music for Kids

It doesn't happen very often, but last Friday I had to round up all the kids and take them along to a morning doctor appointment of mine. I had a bunch of other places to go as well, and we were in the car for a pretty long time. So we were driving into West Chester and listening to the radio and periodically Evan would say, "I love this song!", or I'd look in the rearview mirror and see Christopher boppin' to the music, swinging his head this way and that like he was trying to put it through the window.
I decided my kids needed some "cool", fun, music to listen to. Children like songs with a good beat and simple words. That's why they will loudly proclaim their love for pop music over, say, Bach. So I paid close attention to the songs they liked and made them a playlist when I got home. It took a lot longer than I thought it was going to; I found all the music on youtube and you have to watch the videos to make sure nothing inappropriate slips through the cracks. For instance, they like Katie Perry's California Girls song, but the video shows her getting flipped off by a gummy bear in the first 30 seconds (and it just goes downhill from there.)
I also googled "Music little kids like to listen to" and found that Disney does remakes of their classic songs with many of the stars of their shows. I am usually the last to find out about these things, but if you haven't heard of it either, the album is called Disneymania; there are about 6 or 7 of those. Once I found some songs from Disneymania I went right for regular Disney songs- can't believe I hadn't already thought of that!
Here's the playlist I came up with. My goal was to make something very "family friendly." So far it's a big hit with the boys and I have to say, I don't mind listening to it either!

1. The Lion King "I Just Can't Wait To Be King"
2. Jack Johnson "Upside Down" (theme to Curious George movie)
3. Taio Cruz "Dynamite"
4. Disneymania "Hakuna Matata"
5. Miley Cyrus "Party in the USA"
6. Rusted Root "Send Me On My Way" (from Ice Age)
7. Aladdin "Friend Like Me"
8. Beauty and the Beast "Be Our Guest"
9. The Little Mermaid "Under the Sea"
10. Randy Newman "You've Got a Friend" (theme from Toy Story)
11. Willow Smith "Whip my Hair"
12. Jack Johnson "If I Had Eyes"
13. Disneymania (Jonas Brothers) "Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me" (from Peter Pan)

3 comments:

  1. Keriann, you have to get Barenaked Ladies "Snacktime" CD...it's the best! Your boys will love it, and you will too...I often find myself listening to it when the kids aren't even in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerianne, I wish you were my mom. You are so amazing! Just looking at the chicken soup makes me feel good. Love ya, Aunt Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mrs. Hanft!! The next time I make it I will bring you by a container. I've had 2 testimonies that it works- Evan and Ken, but I know they were sincere! Soup is fun to make too. One of these days I will post my seafood bisque recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete